History & Resume Byron C. Shutz, Jr.
• Washington State K-12 Public Education Advocate – 7+ years of community and legislative advocacy.
• Executive Officer – 10+ years leadership in small business development, strategic planning, and
organizational innovation for entrepreneurial and corporate companies; all phases of administration, finance,
personnel development, and I.T.; vision, integrity, humor and commitment to partnerships.
• Project Manager – 20+ years capability to guide diverse groups and manage multiple projects; develop
goals for products and services from conception, development, and engineering through to final
implementation; customer service and results-oriented; effectively communicate complex information.
• Trustee - Lake Washington Schools Foundation Board of Trustees;
Co-President, Co-Interim Executive Director and Co-Chair of Advisory Council for 2009-10 term, and
additional committee chairmanships leading the organization's historical strategic evolution; Treasurer,
Executive Comm and Compensation Comm., and Governance Comm. for 2009-09. LWSF serves the
community and school district of 24,000 students in Kirkland, Redmond and Sammamish.
• Citizen Lobbyist - advocate for state funding of public K-12 education system;
advocate in Olympia throughout 2009 legislative session with legislators and public officials; testified before
legislative hearings on bills for improved public school funding systems in Washington State.
• Founder & Webmaster - www.fundingwaschools.org
A unique, indispensable resource for mobilizing public awareness and advocacy for legislative
improvements to the funding systems supporting public schools in Washington State.
• Legislative Advocacy Chair - Redmond Jr HS PTSA and Audubon Elem. PTSA
• Outstanding Advocate 2008 LWPTSA Award Recipient: recognition for continued and dedicated advocacy
service to children, and a demonstrated commitment to help create policy.
• Member - Lake Washington Alliance for School Funding
Founding member of citizen group partnering with Lake Washington School Board, District Administration,
Education Association and PTSA to mobilize public awareness of consequences of state funding on district
budget and services.
• Member - Lake Washington Citizen's Levy Committee
Committee to promote passage of local school district levy
• Citizen Member - LWSD Budget Advisory Committee
Community member on panel to develop Lake Washington District Administration’s guidelines for budget
Advocate, Washington State PTA (WSPTA)
The WSPTA serves over 150,000 PTA members in 13 active Regions throughout Washington.
• Lead Chair - Legislative Focus Day 2009: with co-chair Shelley Kloba, lead membership and coalition
advocacy event in Olympia to match the political needs in the legislative Session, culminating with a public
rally on the steps to the Capital Legislative Building; identify goals and tools to mobilize PTA members and
advocacy partners to engage and influence legislators in a year-round lobbying program; create all new
infrastructure, processes and materials, from web resources to partner cultivation and documentation;
coordinated management over the year of major partner organization and public officials; produced a
comprehensive Project Report.
• Committee Member - Education Committee on Basic Education Funding 2008-09: developer of informational
tools, materials and processes to membership and public on the work of the WA Legislative Basic Education
Finance Joint Task Force; engage members to personally advocate with their legislators and policy makers.
• Chair - Legislative Focus Day 2008:lead membership lobby-day in Olympia in the Legislative Building;
identified goals and tools to better communicate to PTA members the benefit of a direct dialog with
legislators; created underlying infrastructure and documented the processes, culminating with a Project
• Founding Member - Ed Funding Mobilization Group: implemented WSPTA’s legislative advocacy around
funding issue; co-developed implementation strategies; co-authored educational, instructive, and mobilization
materials; presented the material and topic to groups throughout the community.
PTSA positions listed below were for a term of one to two years; roles often ran concurrently.
Board of Directors, PTSA Council 2.8, Lake Washington School District (LWPTSA)
The LW Council serves 40 local unit buildings with over 15,000 PTA members and 23,000 students.
• Legislation Co-Chair: co-created new manual detailing the LC duties, schedule and resources; planned and
hosted legislative candidate forums; cultivated alliances with school administration and board for messaging
issues; developed communications and action plans; coordinated events with local councils.
• Chair – Newsletter Editor: developed and documented processes to edit & create local content published
monthly to Council’s regional leadership; coordinated content with regular contributors.
• Scholarship Committee: the committee restructured the application and evaluation processes; evaluated
applications to award $12K to staff and students.
Board of Directors, PTSA 2.8.5, Audubon Elementary (AE)
The Audubon local unit serves over 250 members of a 410+ student school building.
• President - Board of Directors: reorganized and rebuilt infrastructure from a fractured and dispirited
organization; established enduring processes and procedural precedents; developed new, and re-tooled
existing, organizational documentation and historical resources.
• Chair - Emergency Preparedness Comm.: updated and documented infrastructure, realigned priorities.
• Chair - Playground Capital Improvement Committee: researched and documented historical records to
develop protocols and processes to coordinate district and non-profits for capital project.
• Chair - Nomination Committee: recruited and trained candidates for Executive Committee Board; established
processes and procedural guides.
Entrepreneurial & Corporate Employment
VP Operations and Design, Garuda, Inc. / K2, Inc. - Seattle, WA & Bozeman, MT
Following the sale of Garuda Mountaineering to the publicly held multinational corporation K2, Inc., retained to
integrate the two organizations and initiate business and product development; train the K2 subsidiary
management and production teams in all phases of the Garuda business to ensure a comprehensive
structure for continued development.
Owner, General Manager & Designer, Garuda Mountaineering – Seattle, WA
Founded Garuda Mountaineering, a company that specialized in the original design and manufacture of state-
of-the-art mountaineering and backpacking tents. Built Garuda into the recognized quality and innovation
standard in the industry, which resulted in most major companies developing competing lines and materials.
Industriously created and grew every aspect of this trend setting company by learning through hands-on,
• Doubled sales each year.
• Hired and trained all production staff to meet expanding demand.
• Computerized all administration, production, sales and accounting functions.
• Created and implemented marketing and sales programs.
• Actively marketed line at national trade shows.
• Generated, negotiated and managed all sale contracts.
• Authored all text copy and created the technical graphics for product catalog and merchandising.
• Retained and liaisoned with graphics and marketing firms to design and generate magazine
advertising and marketing materials.
• Designed and engineered all prototypes, model lines and product upgrades.
• Implemented CAD software and hardware to create designs, patterns, markers, assembly
documentation, instruction manuals, and marketing graphics.
• Researched, sourced, negotiated, and purchased all equipment and materials.
• Worked with vendors to develop new, industry-influencing fabrics specific to Garuda.
• Created all manufacturing processes; designed and built manufacturing facility space
• Engineered and performed all aspects of production and manufacturing.
Asst. Vice President, Lowe Enterprises Commercial Real Estate - Bellevue, WA
Built the NW property management division for this national commercial real estate development company;
quickly promoted to the top regional commercial executive position. Developed new management and leasing
structures for $17 million (1989) of diverse properties.
Vice President and Property Manager, The Shutz Company - KC, MO
Family-owned $6m commercial real estate development and management; computerized operations.
Assistant Manager, Mountain Miser, Inc., Ft. Collins, CO
High-end backpacking and mountaineering equipment retail store; initiated performing in-store repairs.
Japan - Business: developed Garuda’s vendor relationship and assisted distributor, Intertec, Inc., Tokyo,
with their retail distribution channels; presented at Intertec’s Tokyo sales convention.
Asia, South & Central - Extensive Travel : Eight months of ground-level, cross-country travel through the
Himalayas of Nepal, India, Kashmir; the Karakorum of Pakistan and across Pakistan's NW Frontier to China
and Afghanistan borders; continued through Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, New Zealand, Hong
Kong and Japan.
BA in Anthropology, University of Colorado-Boulder, CO
Concentration: Settlement Archeology and Physiology of Bio-Locomotion
Undergrad Asst. to Dr. Bruce H. Dahlins
University of Puget Sound, Tacoma, Washington.
Concentration: Comparative Sociology
AREAS OF EXPERIENCE OR ADDITIONAL TRAINING
Project Management Research & Design Presentations Contract Negotiations
Budget & Planning Product Development Customer Service Contract Writing
Personnel Develop. Product Costing Post-sale Follow Up Compliance Issues
Training Production Planning Referrals Real Estate Law
Business Taxation Marketing Market Analysis Site Planning
Finance Merchandising Feasibility Studies Bldg. Construction
Software & Hardware: OS - DOS 2.0 through Win-XP; Apps - MS Office 95 to Vista, GenCAD1.0 thru
AutoCAD LT 2000, QuickBooks 1.0 thru Online, Quicken, TurboTax; numerous productivity apps, utilities,
drivers, etc; hardware 80286 thru P-4